Senior Dating Tips
Before you dive into the older adult dating scene, here are some simple senior dating tips to follow as you set out to find a fulfilling, meaningful relationship on your own or in a senior living community.
The desire to find someone special to love and be loved by is innate and knows no age limits. Genesis 2:18 says, “It is not good for man to be alone. I will make him a helper suitable for him.” The days when seniors were expected to remain single after the loss of a spouse are gone. It only makes heart sense for statistics show married people are healthier and more likely to live longer.
However, times have changed when it comes to searching for someone to spend time or share life with. Here are simple senior dating tips as you set out on a quest to find a fulfilling, meaningful relationship on your own or within a senior living community.
- Don’t box yourself in — Everyone has an idea of what their “type” is. But it’s important not to limit yourself to pursuing potential partners within narrow parameters. By setting aside the checklist you may have had earlier in life, as least the lesser important ones, you may discover a gem of a partner who suits you in delightful new ways you never imagined.
- Dive into activities — Whether it’s volunteering at your favorite charity, taking dance lessons, attending a book club or wine tasting, meeting someone who shares your interests makes for an instant connection. What would otherwise be an “artificial dating environment” suddenly and simply becomes a time and place where you’re both doing what you love—together.
- Be honest and upfront — Earlier in life, people were likely to be looking for someone to marry and start a family with. Now, relationship expectations and goals are broader. Whether you’re interested in pursuing a serious committed relationship or a platonic friendship, make sure your potential partner knows what you want to expect from the start. Being forthright helps you forge the kind of healthy relationship that will make you both happy and satisfied.
- Go online — Happening upon the perfect mate as you move through daily life can be more difficult than it was when you were in school or the workplace. Fortunately, the internet has made it easier and faster to find a special someone who shares your interests and values.
Some dating sites charge membership fees; others are free. A few focus on specific relationship and lifestyle wants and needs. Most require you to create a detailed profile which includes a preview of what kind of person you are and the type of partner you’re interested in. If you need help, reach out to a younger friend or relative to help you craft a profile and post a photo that casts you in your best and truest light.
Ready to get started? Here is a list of the best-known dating sites for seniors. Chances are one or more will help you find that special someone
- OkCupid — For those who’d prefer not to pay membership fees, this site is 100% free.
- eHarmony — Boasting the largest online user base, this is an internet dating website designed to match people looking for a long-term relationship.
- It’s Just Lunch — For those interested in a private, premium dating service geared to serving busy professionals, this site suggests matches and sets up the details of your first date.
- Silver Singles — While billing itself as a dating site for those over 50, this service skews a little older, making it a good one to check out if you are 60 or older.
- Elite Singles — Designed to serve professionals, this “smart” site focuses on finding highly educated matches.
- Senior FriendFinder — This site is a place where people over 60 are looking to make new friends that may blossom into a courtship.
- Christian Mingle, Catholic Match, and JDate — These sites offer Christian, Catholic and Jewish seniors a place to meet someone whose spirituality is an essential part of their life.
Regardless of the site you choose, if you find someone you’d like to know better, be sure to meet for the first time in a public place: cafes, coffee shops, fitness centers or local malls.
- Enjoy the journey — This is the most important senior dating tip of all. Don’t take it all too seriously. Meeting interesting new people, having great conversation, getting out and about, service to others…is what life should be about. If you make a new friend or find a forever love in the process, it’s icing on the cake (perhaps even, wedding cake).
MorningStar Senior Living
If your loved one lives far from family and friends, it could be time to move into a senior living community near their adult children where they’ll have the companionship of fellow seniors and a compassionate service team. At MorningStar Senior Living, a 24/7 team is dedicated to offer care and hospitality services that meet each resident’s social, emotional, physical, and spiritual needs.