During this pandemic, and as the pathology of COVID-19 revealed itself, every state invested monumental effort in issuing guidelines related to long-term care and “congregant living” settings like ours. In the truest test of our devotion to seniors, MorningStar met this health crisis head-on.
In December 2020 we enthusiastically supported the COVID vaccine roll-out for any who chose to receive it. The mobilization was impressive. In first quarter 2021, we saw these results:
• 100% of our communities hosted at least three vaccine clinics with Walgreens as clinical administrator
• Over 6,400 vaccine shots administered under the MorningStar roof
• Vaccine acceptance rate among residents exceeds 95%
While the aggravated impact of COVID on seniors is now an acknowledged fact, the choice to be vaccinated is wholly personal, made only after each person comes to a balanced understanding of the benefits and risks. Early on, we presented information from authoritative agencies, supplemented with our own “Back2Hugs” excitement, seen here:
Even with widespread vaccination across the nation, vigilance remains the watchword—for our seniors’ sake. MorningStar continues its coordinated defense across every aspect of our operations, including the “Triple Crown” (hand hygiene, masks, six-foot distance). We remain diligent in matters of infection control, taking all the precautions incumbent upon us as healthcare professionals.
With the advent of the Delta variant, we have seen the return of tightened regulations and reduced freedom of movement in some areas. We are keeping abreast of each state's phasing and pacing, sharing details directly with residents and family members. For the most accurate local information, call the MorningStar community of interest to you.
In states where vaccine mandates for healthcare workers are being issued: By the strict and clear parameters of our operating license, MorningStar has followed and will continue to follow specific State orders—including any vaccine mandates for team members. However, wanting to respect freedom of choice for our team, we will accommodate any who choose to submit a medical or religious exemption in States that mandate the vaccine.
For your superb patience through the prolonged impositions of COVID-19—and for your surpassing trust in us throughout—we humbly thank you. It is our distinct pleasure to serve.
Chief Operating Officer
MorningStar Senior Living
AFFIRMING PRAISE FROM FAMILIES
- "I think the protocol at MorningStar for family communication during COVID is exactly what we need! With the inability (in some states) to physically visit…they have made it possible to communicate with employees at any time to check on your loved one. I am happy with the generosity that employees demonstrate when I call them directly! This is a reasonable and refreshing means to stay informed."
- "My appreciation for everyone at MorningStar has not diminished in any way! According to Mom’s reports, everyone is doing an amazing job of protecting and caring for the residents. "
- "Please know we are so very thankful, the precautions you are taking, the sacrifices you are making, and the fact that you continue to do it with such kind, servant hearts…we are praying for you all!"