In Aggressive Defense Against Coronavirus
A Message from MorningStar’s Founder/CEO
From a resident’s daughter: “Although it is difficult not being able to visit our loved ones, I am so grateful for the proactive stand you are taking. Our parents could not be in a better place.”
These are the kinds of notes flooding in during this time. Their effect is incredibly encouraging. Every homemade poster held up to the window, every sensitive email sent in the wee hours, every call to faith and courage does much to sustain us in the fight against COVID-19.
MorningStar Senior Living has no higher responsibility than that of the Safety and Security of our residents, families and team members.
Since the outbreak of a new strain of coronavirus (COVID-19), MorningStar has mounted a coordinated defense of every aspect of our operations. We have built layer upon layer of protocols over the last 30+ days, evolved with evidence-based research. We are staying abreast of the pandemic’s real time status and closely following—in many cases, exceeding—guidelines set by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), American Senior Housing Association and Federal government to ensure the health and well-being of all beneath our roof.
In full and proper response to this threat, MorningStar has enhanced our standard protocols adding layers of precautionary measures. Our leaders are working diligently from every conceivable angle to keep MorningStar communities safe.
Actions include, but are not limited to:
- We have suspended non-essential visits in all communities. Medical personnel and end-of-life situations are the exception.
- For those few whose entry is deemed essential, we have installed formal screening upon entry into our communities, which includes the completion of a mandatory questionnaire and temperature check. For team members, a temperature check and symptoms check is conducted at the outset and close of every shift.
- We have posted signage in high traffic areas including our front doors that promote the best preventative measures in lowering the risk of infectious disease, including:
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol, if soap and water are not available
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- If you become symptomatic, self-isolate from others; stay home until healed.
- Cover coughs or sneezes with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Disinfect objects and surfaces that are frequently touched.
- We have conducted mandatory training for all team members on infection control with a heightened insistence on hand sanitation; the training includes a thorough review of the latest CDC information on COVID-19 and the unique attributes of this viral strain.
- We are taking every precaution to ensure that any team member who is feeling unwell stay home to self-quarantine.
- We have ordered extra inventory of disinfectant and related cleaning supplies.
- To keep the community more deeply sanitized, we have modified our cleaning practices, boosting their frequency throughout our homes.
- We have discontinued resident outings.
- We have cancelled large-scale events and outside entertainers until further notice.
- With “social distancing” as the watchword of COVID-19, we eliminated communal dining, serving all meals in private suites for most residents. The exceptions are: 1) Assisted Living residents whose Individualized Service Plan calls for dining assistance will be seated in our dining room, widely spaced; 2) Memory Care residents. Dining will proceed as normal with tables spread as wide as possible.
- We have sent regular updates to all residents and families companywide, as often as needed to communicate new initiatives, and sent community-specific letters whenever developments or protocols dictate.
- Only after a thorough screening are new residents moved into our communities. They move directly into their private suite, remaining there for a 14-day quarantine. Team members entering their resident rooms wear full PPE.
- We check all resident vitals twice a day. We have instilled an attitude of acute awareness for any signs of respiratory illness. We know our residents well and are marking any change in their health, ever watchful of symptoms that give cause for concern.
- In Assisted Living and Memory Care, our team wear masks at all times when in service to our residents. We encourage, but do not insist, that residents (including Independent Living) wear masks themselves as a further precaution when traversing the community.
Because of our strict adherence to all protocols, we are poised to quickly react to any early warning, identify the exposure precisely, and remove it immediately.
I ask you to join me in praying for our country, for our president and vice president as they work with the world’s greatest medical professionals to combat and find a cure for this virus. We will continue to fight the good fight with all the grace and resilience we can muster.
MorningStar Senior Living
Affirming Praise from Families
“When I left yesterday I wept in my car with gratitude for everything you and your team are doing to keep our loved ones safe and happy. God is GOOD! God is in control. Mom is receiving the best care and love anyone can give, especially in these circumstance. Can’t imagine the stress you are under.”
“I can’t imagine trying to work through this if Mom had still been on her own.”
“My appreciation for everyone at MorningStar has not diminished in any way! According to Mom’s reports, everyone is doing an amazing job of protecting and caring for the residents. With Mom being such a social person, I have concerns for her in isolation, but she seems to be weathering these restrictions very well. I’m so glad because the restrictions give us incredible peace of mind. Please know we are so very thankful, the precautions you are taking, the sacrifices you are making, and the fact that you continue to do it with such kind, servant hearts…we are praying for you all!”
“We are glad you are at the helm during these challenging times and we know you have the community’s best interests at heart.”Read More
“Although, it is difficult not being able to visit our loved ones, I am so grateful for the proactive stand you are taking. Our parents could not be in a better place.”
“I thank you for being so diligent and proactive in the protection of our loved ones. No doubt each of you is exhausted…with raw hands and plenty of headaches from the stress. I am very impressed with the little extra things you are doing like the ice cream social, popcorn party and brain teaser/word search activities to break the monotony. Meal delivery must be so much additional work but is the safest approach at this uncertain time and for that, again, I thank you. Your early steps to keep everyone safe has truly been a blessing for the families who are unable to be near.”
“My family thanks you so so much for all that you do, are doing and will do. Take time for yourselves so you are able to maintain your extremely high level of care and concern. God bless MorningStar.”
“The hands-on caregivers have done a heroic job. I thank them profusely.”
“My heart, prayers and gratitude go out to all of you at MorningStar.”
“You deserve respect and gratitude for your care for residents in all the ways important to them and their families during extraordinarily trying times.”
“I was very nervous about my mom and not being there with her, but having a direct line to you—your providing me daily updates—makes me feel so much better. I am confident in MorningStar.”
“I am happy about MorningStar’s response to COVID and your excellent communication.”
“I’m so grateful for the care you provide. My friend and I walked around your building for two hours praying over MorningStar. I know my mom is in good hands.”
“MorningStar is doing a fantastic job addressing COVID. We no longer have anxiety over the situation.”
for Area Seniors
What a pleasure and joy to drop off Care Kits to seniors whose situation at home alone has left them particularly vulnerable, not the least of which is needing basic supplies. Our Expansive Love Care Kits are intended to lift spirits and ease shortages.
“I sincerely thank you for your love and kindness in providing the gift bag for us. All of the items were so useful, appropriate and/or “sweet”! I’m enjoying them all, and am very grateful for your thoughtfulness!”
“We’ve decided, if we can get past your husband, that we’re going to adopt you. We thought that little care package you dropped off was just excellent. That’s why we’re anxious to get around and see all you neat people. I just wanted to thank you again. It brightened our day.”
“May life bring you a reflection of the kindness you’ve shown to us through the care package you brought. Thank you for your thoughtfulness.”
“Thank you for a wonderful gift bag. It is all so much appreciated and it also contained a nice note. Thank you again very much. It really brightened our day.”Read More
“Thank you for the wonderful surprise package. We can use it all…actually, the timing of the TP was perfect!”
View this message from MorningStar’s Founder/CEO
Since this filming on March 11, MorningStar has instituted a policy that temporarily
suspends non-essential visitors and vendors from entering our communities.