During this pandemic, and as the pathology of COVID-19 revealed itself, every state invested monumental effort in issuing guidelines related to long-term care and “congregant living” settings like ours. In the truest test of our devotion to seniors, MorningStar met this health crisis head-on.
In December, we enthusiastically helped spread news of the vaccine against COVID, made possible through the historic coordination of Operation Warp Speed. MorningStar hastened to organize vaccine clinics under our roof (the first on January 1) for residents and team members, with Walgreens as clinical administrator.
In the first quarter of 2021, we saw these impressive results:
• 100% of our communities have hosted at least three vaccine clinics
• Over 6400 vaccine shots administered under the MorningStar roof
• Vaccine acceptance rate among residents is 94%
While the aggravated impact of COVID on seniors is now an acknowledged fact, the choice to be vaccinated was wholly personal, made only after each person came to a balanced understanding of the benefits and risks. We presented information from authoritative agencies, supplemented with our own “Back2Hugs” excitement, seen here:
Now that the vaccine has been disseminated to priority (higher risk) groups, state guidelines are predictably changing again. In response to drops in positivity rates for some areas, we are thrilled to see health authorities relax regulations and restore more freedom of movement. We are keeping abreast of each state's phasing and pacing, sharing details directly and daily with residents and family members.
While each day brings growing evidence that COVID has done its worse and is in recession (thanks to the mighty outworking of the vaccine and herd immunity), we must remain guarded. Even as the disease diminishes, vigilance remains the watchword—for our seniors’ sake. MorningStar continues its coordinated defense across every aspect of our operations, including the “Triple Crown” (hand hygiene, masks, six-foot distance). We remain diligent in matters of infection control, taking all the precautions incumbent upon us as healthcare professionals.
At the same time, we have invented novel ways to add color and variety to life beneath our roof. For an increasing number of communities that includes reengaging entertainers, opening to in-suite family visits, meals in our dining rooms, and welcoming back third-party providers.
Because there continues to be variance, state to state, for accurate local information, call the MorningStar community of interest to you.
For your superb patience through the prolonged impositions of COVID-19—and for your surpassing trust in us throughout—we humbly thank you. It is our distinct pleasure to serve.
Chief Operating Officer
MorningStar Senior Living
AFFIRMING PRAISE FROM FAMILIES
- "I think the protocol at MorningStar for family communication during COVID is exactly what we need! With the inability (in some states) to physically visit…they have made it possible to communicate with employees at any time to check on your loved one. I am happy with the generosity that employees demonstrate when I call them directly! This is a reasonable and refreshing means to stay informed."
- "My appreciation for everyone at MorningStar has not diminished in any way! According to Mom’s reports, everyone is doing an amazing job of protecting and caring for the residents. "
- "Please know we are so very thankful, the precautions you are taking, the sacrifices you are making, and the fact that you continue to do it with such kind, servant hearts…we are praying for you all!"